Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Fun Filled Weekend

I enjoyed the last weekend to the brim. Probably, the best I had till now. There were an array of activities following one after another, starting with the freshers day on friday to the elocution competition on monday. Let us peep into it...

The freshers party which we hosted was held on Friday (7 September 2012) evening. An evening meant to welcome our juniors. When I talk about freshers party, my mind goes to the farewell party that we had hosted. That was the evening, when I was back on stage after a long gap. That was the evening which saw my anchoring debut. Though I had public speaking experience, I knew that anchoring was a different ball game. To add to it, we-the anchors-decided to recite a poem ! My prejudiced mind told me  'Poetry is not my cup of tea'. However, I was impressed with the poem and so we decided to go with it  (The poem was 'Waqt' by Javed Akthar. The hindi part was dealt by the co-anchor and I was doing the English translation part). By God's grace, both of them (anchoring and the poem) worked out well. And that gave me loads of confidence. And guess what, this Friday evening for freshers party, I am there on stage-yes, you guessed it right, I was one of the anchors ! The effort that we, had put in and the success that followed filled our hearts.

Saturday and Sunday were the days of onam celebrations. I am a student of IIT Kharagpur and we have an association of keralites here- Tech Keralites. The onam program was organised by tech keralites. The first day was meant for games and the second day for cultural activities and the much awaited onasadya (the feast). This time, I was more involved in the background work than last time. And it was fun. The whole program happened to be thoroughly entertaining. This was probably the best of onams celebrated at kharagpur till now. Well, Is it true that these days Onam-the traditional festival of Kerala-is celebrated more outside Kerala than in Kerala ? I leave it to you to figure out. But, now I understand that, once I leave kharagpur, I am going to miss the association and the celebrations.

Monday evening was also special. It was not as flamboyant as the ones mentioned above. But it is definitely close to my heart. Guess what-I did my debut as a judge ! As a part of the intra hall english elocution competition (held in another hostel), I was told to be one of the judges. And I grabbed the opportunity with both hands because I knew that to be a part of a judging panel is a rare opportunity. I knew that it brings with it lots of responsibilities. Being on a judging debut, I was a bit tensed.  But I found that I was not too bad a judge for this program. The co-judge was a friend of mine and was very cooperative as well. At the end of the program, we have positive deliberations. At the end of it all, I believe we gave the correct judgement. A moral boost for a judge on debut.

All these together made the weekend a memorable one for me.
There are many things-small or big-that make us happy.
There are many opportunities-small or big-that polish our skills.
And most of them find a place amongst the best moments of our life....



No comments: